For an appointment, call us at (360) 379-9235
Good breast care involves a combination of three important steps: monthly self exams, an annual exam by a healthcare professional, and mammograms. Mammograms remain the gold standard for breast cancer detection.
Patients can receive the latest in 3D mammography screening at Jefferson Healthcare's Imaging Department. Tomosynthesis (also known as 3D mammography) is a screening and diagnostic tool designed for early detection of breast cancer that can be done in conjunction with a traditional 2D digital mammogram. The technology provides three-dimensional images of the breast by using a technology similar to CT scans, or computed tomography.
3D mammography combined with 2D mammography provides:
- Greater than 25% improvement in overall cancer detection rates, finding invasive cancers 40% earlier than conventional 2D mammography alone.
- Better visualization of masses, distortions, and asymmetric densities.
- Significant reduction in false-positive recall rates by up to 40%.
While our patients primarily comment on their reduction in anxiety from 3D mammography, they also tell us that the ergonomic design of the system helps deliver a more comfortable experience.
The imaging machine moves around the breast in an arc, taking multiple X-rays that a computer forms into a 3D image. 3D mammography technology allows doctors to examine breast tissue, one layer at a time. A computer produces a 3D image of your breast tissues in one millimeter slices, providing greater visibility for the radiologist to see tissue details like never before.
The advantages of 3D mammography
- Detects small breast cancers earlier, especially cancers that may be hidden in a 2D mammography.
- Achieves greater accuracy in identifying the size, shape and location of abnormalities.
- Conducts fewer unnecessary biopsies and tests.
- Improves the likelihood of detecting multiple breast tumors, which occur in 15% of breast cancer patients.
Call to schedule your appointment at 360-379-9235.