Jefferson Healthcare began as St. John’s Hospital, which was founded by the Sisters of Providence in 1890. After a long commitment of service to the community, the sisters withdrew from the hospital in 1975. At that time, the hospital operations were taken over by the county as Jefferson County Public Hospital District #2. The hospital was renamed Jefferson General Hospital. In January 2003, the hospital was designated as a critical access hospital.
In September 2004, Jefferson General Hospital transitioned into the entity called Jefferson Healthcare. Recognizing that the hospital had grown into a fully integrated health care system, the hospital commissioners provided the leadership necessary to change the name to more accurately express the broad range of services provided to the community.
As a public hospital district, Jefferson Healthcare is owned by the taxpayers of East Jefferson County and is operated as a municipal corporation by five elected commissioners who oversee the district’s operations.